Job Title: Cafe Manager
Hours: 35 hours per week
Location: Inspire Centre, 747 Stockport Road, Levenshulme, M19 3AR
Reporting to: Inspire Café Board
Responsible for: Café Chef and Assistant
You will lead a social enterprise café which operates with vision and creativity, demonstrates high standards in all processes and operations, and exemplifies Inspire’s community values as a welcoming hub for the wider Inspire Centre.
Café environment and safety
- Maintain and develop a clean, attractive and welcoming café environment with responsibility for all aspects of operational café management.
- Ensuring visitors to the Inspire Café receive a warm welcome and excellent customer service reflecting the centre’s inclusive community values, including seeking customer feedback and adapting café operations as appropriate.
- Responsible for the presentation and ordering of the café space to ensure it is well maintained and creatively designed to reflect Inspire’s community values. This includes signage, menus and other appropriate publicity.
- Oversee and implement all café policies and procedures including food hygiene and safety, health and safety, and risk assessments. This includes all HACCP, allergy and other relevant documentation is kept up to date and accessible such that the café receives the highest food hygiene rating.
- Managing kitchen and café equipment and furniture including ensuring it is serviced and working well.
Café staff and volunteers
- Managing the café staffing rota, including both paid staff and volunteers, to ensure adequate staffing levels in all areas of preparation, service and cleaning. To lead shifts and offer oversight throughout the week and hold regular café team meetings.
- Working with the Inspire volunteer co-ordinator, to understand and respond to the challenges of working with a team of volunteers, handling issues sensitively with a focus on building a snese of teamwork and community.
- To ensure that all staff and volunteers have adequate training and support, especially in relation to compliance with all policies and procedures.
- Form part of the wider Inspire management team, attend staff and managers meetings, and support other colleagues to deliver activities and projects that support and promote Inspire’s vision and values.
Food and drink offer
- Working with the chef to provide a food and drink offer with an attractive, fresh, varied, healthy and affordable menu, making extensive use of food recycling initiatives, fairly-traded and other ethical suppliers.
- Working with the chef and other Inspire staff to provide affordable catering for in-house meetings and events.
- Working with the chef and other Inspire staff to develop an attractive and affordable external catering offer.
Finances and development
- Monitoring café finances including daily cash reconciliations, weekly sales reports and working with the chef and Finance Manager to balance overall income and expenditure.
- Stock control and rotation, ordering and managing deliveries (working collaboratively with the chef).
- Playing and active part in attracting customers and centre users to Inspire and playing a proactive role in proposing, planning and managing other activities and events that will generate footfall and drive up revenues in the café and the centre more broadly.
- Having general oversight for café development, identifying areas of improvement and implementing change as appropriate and in conjunction with other Inspire staff.
Other employment conditions
This job will include some flexible working including evenings and weekends.
You will be entitled to 22 days holiday plus bank holidays.
Inspire will provide relevant training opportunities for this role. You will receive regular line management and a performance review at least once each year.
You are required to give 4 weeks’ notice, in writing, if you wish to terminate your employment. You are entitled to 4 weeks’ notice, in writing, if Inspire has reason to end your employment except in the event of dismissal for gross misconduct.
You will be required to undergo a DBS check.
Necessary skills and experience:
- At least 3 years’ experience in a managerial role in a café or catering industry management.
- An experienced team player who is able to lead a mixed team of volunteers and paid staff.
- A welcoming, warm and approachable personality who can model the bahaviours that create and positive environment for customers, staff and volunteers.
- Catering qualification, ideally Level 3 Supervising Food Safety Certificate.
- Well organised with a keen eye for detail and the ability to plan ahead, set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate with people from a range of backgrounds, including vulnerable people.
- A good understanding of commercial value and social value.
- Computer literate with budgetary and day to day financial management skills, Microsoft Office ability and comfortable using social media.
Necessary attitude and disposition:
- Strong understanding of and commitment to the Inspire Vision & Values.
- Self-motivated, disciplined and resilient, dealing calmly with unexpected difficulties.
- Flexible and open to change with an awareness of their own strengths and weaknesses and the humility to learn from colleagues.
- Positive, outgoing and a team player with a sense of humour and the capacity to enjoy life while managing work and other commitments.
- A resident of Levenshulme or South Gorton